Monday, February 23, 2009

Happy Love Day

I am seriously behind, but, Happy Valentine's Day! We have all been under the weather around here and we're on the upswing now... I'm just getting caught up. (Brittany and Austin, we were so sad to have to cancel our visit!) Having sniffly little ones is so frustrating at first, when I see my to-do list (both the productive one and the just-for-my-own-mental-health one) going down the drain to meet their needs. But every time, once I actually just surrender to it and nestle in with them it is so sweet and such a great excuse to cuddle up with them, rock with them, and slow down enough to really see them... that's the best entertainment. I have to think that the extra love, patience and compassion we have for our sick children is a (very very distant) comparison to how God must feel about us when we are needy.
Scout was on-call for V-Day this year (working a 30+ hour shift ) so we were not able to keep our tradition of avoiding nice restaurants like the plague and seeing a movie together in our sweats and eating popcorn for dinner. Don't get me wrong... I am not a V-Day hater. Not at all. But we spent a couple years in a row going out for a "romantic" dinner and ended up frustrated that there were only 5 items on the special menu, they were all triple the usual price, and were all steak! (So basically we ended up paying beau coups so I could eat a side salad and potatoes.) Anyway... the movie-in-sweats tradition was born... and we enjoy a nice dinner out some other time. I hope we can get back to it next year... This year since Scout was gone the girls and I headed to Ashland for a quick 24 visit to see Momsie and Bandaddy. Great fun as always and it is such a special thing to see my parents be grandparents. Kate was showered with Dora goods, and Carter got some good holding and cuddle time and some new clothes (some of which we are keeping... I know, Mom, I'm impossibly picky.) It was a fun Valentine's Day this year because Kate was so aware and so into it. She loved giving Dora valentines to "aaaaaalll her friends."

Speaking of call, Scout mentioned the other night that he only has 16 calls left in his residency... it's hard to believe! He figures that he has done 130+ so far, not counting all the nights of ER shifts or nightfloat or what-have-you. Basically, he is tired. And ready. We are making an effort to really enjoy the here and now, but are both looking forward to life actually having some sort of rythm with weekends and Mondays and holidays and the whole shebang... the build-up, the Friday let-down, the dread of Monday, things actually having a stopping and starting point, etc. We have come to realize how good that is for the soul, the family, life... Scout's work schedule and me being a stay at home mom makes life very much like Groundhog Day around here (the movie, not the holiday). So very fun, but the every-day-is-Tuesday feeling can wear you down.



Score! A new Dora movie for the ride home!


Kate and Momsie making V-Day sugar cookies to bring home to Daddy.

**********************************

Lucy's birthday party... Once Kate warmed up to the idea, she had a ball jumping & sliding. Carter Caroline loved every minute of the bouncing, screaming, etc, that was involved right from the start. If she is going to be a thrill-seeker Scout will have to take her on roller-coasters and black diamond slopes. I am more of a bunny slope girl myself. And yes, that is my husband taking our 7-month old down the huge slide. I didn't worry, because I know where to find a really great pediatrician when we need one!







*************************************
Totally unrelated note, but welcome Garrett Brooks! Our newest little nephew was born on the 19th and we are so glad that he is here, happy and healthy. He came about 5 weeks early and spent a couple days in the NICU but is home now and doing well. Julie, I'm just glad that he didn't try to make an appearance while we were chasing kids all around Frontgate and Ballard the week before! I've never been in and out of there so fast... (Oh, Frontgate, how I will miss you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment